Friday, September 18, 2009

Etsy Knitters and Crocheters on Parade





Beth Bullock of Beth's Baby Blankets is a stay-at-home mom with a 5 year old son, and 2 year old daughter. If you are looking for a shower gift, Beth's shop is the place to go. She also has a gorgeous knitted doily of the kind that is usually crocheted. Clicking on the title "Etsy Knitters and Crocheters on Parade" will take you to her shop. You won't want to miss it.

Your blog explains that you learned to knit five and a half years ago. Did anyone help you?

I was laid off while I was pregnant and sick so my husband wanted me to get a hobby to keep my mind off of my nausea. I thought of knitting and got a kit at Michaels, after trying (and failing) to follow the directions for a few days, I asked my friends if they knew anyone that knew how to knit. I found a friend of a friend who gave me two lessons for a few hours. She taught me how to cast on, knit, purl, and bind off. I then bought a book to continue learning.

Tell us how you got started making baby blankets?

My first project was a baby blanket for my son when I was 7 months pregnant. It was supposed to be really easy, but it turned out really bad! It was a diagonal pattern like a dishcloth where you yo at the beginning and end of every row. Then k2tog at the beg and end to decrease. Well I forgot to k2tog quite a few times and the shape is not one anyone would recognize :) But I tied the ends to make it look like a square and I still use the blanket.

Many have breathed a sigh of relief since yarn was taken off the CPSIA testing list and you don't use findings. But, does CPSIA affect you in any way? Such as, do you have to add labels?

Since I only use yarn (no buttons or zippers etc. I do not believe I am affected by CPSIA. I do list my yarn type and brand in my item description for informational purposes.

What is your favorite activity other than knitting? Is napping an activity :), with two small kids it's a nice treat once and a while. I also enjoy scrapbooking. I love recording our family holidays, trips and just seeing how the kids grow.

If you could experience anything you wanted for one day, what would it be and why?

I would love to be a back up singer for someone like Paul Simon. I was a music major in college and I miss singing.

Since I don't know many people that knit, it's so nice to be apart of this group that is full of knowledge and support.

You can find Beth on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/pages/Quakertown-PA/Beths-Baby-Blankets/100147789712?ref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment