Thursday, June 4, 2009

Etsy Knitters and Crocheters on Parade






I was checking the crochet listings to see where mine was when I spotted a T-shirt. It looked like just a T-shirt, but knowing that crochet must be involved for it to be in the crochet listings, I clicked on it. It took me to a shop with the cutest crocheted T-shirts I had ever seen. Well, the only crocheted T-shirts I had ever seen. They were so cute and such a great idea that I just had to send the owner a convo and tell her so. Through our conversation, the idea came to me that so far only knitters have been spotlighted, and this shop would be perfect for the next feature.

Vinette of Nique's Boutique http://www.niquesboutique.etsy.com is the mother of three, two very handsome boys and one beautiful daughter. She recently became unemployed when the company she had worked for for 12 years downsized. She has decided to make lemonade out of lemons by spending the time pursuing her passion to make beautiful things. I've loved getting to know her a little.

When did you learn to crochet and who taught you?
I started to crochet when I was a young girl living in jamaica, I learned by watching my older relatives crocheting.

Do you knit? If so, what do you knit?

No, I have never tried my hand at knitting, but I always thought I would try to see what I could come up with.

How long have you been crocheting T-shirts, and what inspired you to do so?

Ive been crocheting t-shirts over 10 years now, what inspired me to do so was to try something different from the traditional crocheting techniques.

What else do you crochet?

I also crochet bag, doilies, pillow cases, window valance and basically anything else that can be crochet.

What are your goals for your shop?

To sell my products to customers with a one of a kind taste.

Do you create for other venues such as charities or friends?

Yes, I have been making crocheted tops for my younger sisters since we were children.

What do you create that gives you the most satisfaction?

Just completing any crochet piece, and seeing my design come to life.

I have to confess that I'm going to have to have the red one in her shop. Drop by Nique's Boutique and see what she is doing. Those T-shirts are definitely out of the ordinary and would make great gifts.

1 comment: